Wednesday, March 3, 2010

To love like Jesus....

Ok, so I was reading John 13 in my devo time last night and was struck by something that I have read about a bajillion times (and yes, math majors, that is a real number). John 13:34-35 says, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

What does it mean to love like Jesus?

I have been reading through and thinking through 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, which says, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

And I know that loving like Jesus should look a lot like this. But I fear sometimes that we get too caught up in the gushy love. The love that forgives everything and is gracious. The love that sweeps everything under the rug and pretends like it didn't happen. But that does not sound like love to me. According to 1 Corinthians 13, love rejoices in the truth. There is a lot of meaning in that phrase if it means what I think it means. Speaking the truth in love is not always easy. Truth is not always easy and gushy and lovey-dovey. Sometimes it is painful and hard. But does that make it any less love?

I would like to know what you think. What does it mean to love like Jesus? What does it mean for Jesus to say that they will know we are his followers by how we love one another? Do we do this? Do we as followers of Christ look like Jesus when we "love" one another?

No comments:

Post a Comment