Thursday, May 21, 2009

God of Justice

Micah 6:6-8
With what shall I come before the Lord and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?
Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

I just can't seem to get these words out of my head. To act justly. To love mercy. To walk humbly with your God. They seem so simple. Yet, when I truly look at them, I am humbled because I know that these three things summarize all that I am to do in my walk with Jesus.

Every year for a week during the summer we get as many of our 7th-12th graders to help out with an event we have dubbed "Teen Arts Project." They prepare all week long and then lead the weekend services. Each year we use this event to teach the kids that worship is more than just singing on a Sunday morning or playing an instrument in a praise band. We do our best to teach these students that worship is a lifestyle. Worship is forever.

This year our theme is "God of Justice" based off the verse above but also from the lyrics to a song with the same title. Our goal this year to is to help the students see that God does not want their goats; He does not want their firstborn; He wants them. And He wants them to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with Him.

What does that even mean, though? How can you teach someone something like that? How can you teach them to act justly or to love mercy or walk humbly? The only answer I can come up with is to teach them about the One with whom they are to walk. For He is the ultimate example of justice, mercy and humility.

So, God, I pray that you will fill us up and send us out so that we may go and live to feed the hungry and stand beside the broken. I pray that you will keep us from just singing words on a screen but instead, Father, I pray that you will move us into action. God, reveal yourself to us as leaders and as students, so that as we stand on stage and proclaim who You are, those in the seats will be moved into action as well. Fill us up and send us out, Lord.

5 comments:

  1. exactly... your post reminded me of Hebrews 12:2 "Fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfector of our faith."
    I'm looking forward to Teen Arts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worship is a lifestyle...a constant being with Jesus. I pray too that those in our body would not be entertained by singing or skits or sermons, but would be drawn into worship, into giving God glory in all of it. I enjoy reading your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Fill us up, and send us out, Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great reminder. I remember last year at camp, we would sing that song and it would be going through my head for hours... That really helps you think about the words and the meaning of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete