Monday, May 11, 2009

I Really Want a Polk-A-Dot Umbrella

So, have you ever had those moments when you know that you have to make a decision, but no matter which option you look at you can see yourself doing it?

I always thought that God's will was like a path. There was one way to walk down that path with little side roads that looked appealing but were really just distractions away from the original path. However, when I was in college, I had a professor who explained it like it was more like an umbrella. Apparently, in this analogy, we all have an umbrella that represents all the things that we know are Truths from the Word. And all we have to do is walk under that umbrella.

For some reason, this does not make me feel better. I know that I should be relieved that there is no ONE thing for me to do in life. I know that I should be glad that I can do just about anything as long as I am following God's precepts, and He will bless it.

So if this is true, this means that we all have the same umbrella. I mean, I can understand that we all have our gifts and talents that lend us more toward one thing than another, but underneath, or in this case, overhead, we all have the same umbrella.


I guess something in me just wanted a special umbrella. The rule follower in me wants an umbrella that is just for me. I know that having an umbrella like everyone else's means that I have the freedom to do anything anywhere anytime. But I want to be able to pray and hear AN answer, not just any answer. I want to be able to talk to my friends and close council and receive council that will lead me to that same answer.

I just really want a polk-a-dot umbrella.

4 comments:

  1. Lets think about this umbrella idea. Maybe you do have a polka dot umbrella and I have a stripped umbrella and they overlap and bump into each other sometimes (or a lot of times) and they make a plaid umbrella...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i believe rhianna has a worship song about her umbrella...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggled with this same idea for a long time. Sometimes, I still do. I too want to have a specific "destiny" if you will. As much of an independent little cuss as I am, I still want to think that God has a specific plan for my life, and that if I pray long enough or hard enough or talk to enough councillors/friends that I will discover that specific plan and will be able to follow it through to the end. That being said, I think God is a bigger God than that. Free choice means just that. I think, as you said, that God wants us to work in our gifts and talents that He has given us. I also think that God wants us to work where we can be happy, til "our cup overfloweth" so to speak. So, God gives us the choices we have in life. Sometimes He'll shut doors and open windows as the saying goes. But sometimes, my dad told me one time, He just lets us decide. Then He walks beside us, wherever that choice takes us, and works to fulfill that choice in His will... I guess what I'm saying is that God is big enough to work a perfect plan in our choices. Whatever those choices are.

    ReplyDelete