Thursday, April 1, 2010

Knowin' Your Stuff

So, I have been reading through John just for fun and have really been struck with just how stinkin' awesome God is! I mean, I have read this book many times before, but John is really quite the author. What I love is that each of the gospel accounts are in our Bible for different reasons. I love that John doesn't leave anything for the imagination; he wants us to know exactly why he wrote this book: But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

And I have to tell you, after having read it again....I believe once again (even more?) that Jesus really is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Man, oh, man. Does he do some amazing things in this book! Raisin' people from the dead! Walkin' on water! Feedin' thousands of people with practically nothing! Amazing!

But you know what I think is awesome? I mean, don't get me wrong, Jesus rocks my face off! But you know what I think is awesome? These disciples who ran away in the garden, denied him during the "court" process, hid themselves in a room are the ones, not three pages later (in my bible, maybe yours is bigger....teehee) that are speaking in tongues and sharing the Word of God (Jesus!) with anyone who can understand them...which is, like, EVERYONE within hearing distance! These guys see Jesus head up to heaven in a cloud (if you believe the flannel-graph I grew up seeing!) and then head back to Jerusalem to being to share the most important message of their lives.

The title of this blog is "Knowin' Your Stuff" and here is why. These men did not waste any time in telling the Jews just who Jesus was and how he had been foretold from the time of Adam, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and all the prophets. They have spent the majority of their lives learning the scrolls and hearing them spoken in the temples, and they spent the past three years watching all of those scriptures come alive in the life of Jesus. If you check out the first six chapters of Acts, you will be wowed as you see these men recall scripture left and right for the purpose of saving lives! Amazing. I want that. I want to know my stuff so well that when people ask me for a recount of Jesus or what I believe or whatever they might need, I can in short order tell them what I believe using scripture in the way it was intended to be used....to save lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment